Purpose of the Policy: The purpose of this policy is to guide decisions about which service providers to include in the database maintained by the HelpCentral.org Butte County Information and Referral Project. The policy also guides decisions about which service providers to exclude.
Disclaimer: Inclusion in the database does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of services, nor does exclusion signify disapproval.
Guidelines, not Rules: The criteria listed below are general guidelines. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Decisions are made by Help Central Inc.
Criteria for including service providers: An agency or service provider may be included if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
- A non-profit or public agency that provides a low-cost/no-cost health or human service in Butte County.
- Services are accessible to the public. Accessibility implies a no-cost or sliding fee scale ensuring that people who cannot afford private sector services can obtain services.
- A membership organization such as a church or social club that offers a service to the community at large. A private company that provides a community service at no cost or with a sliding fee scale.
- Elected representatives for Butte County.
- A professional organization (especially those organizations in the social service field).
- A for-profit organization whose fees are subsidized by a third party, so the service is free or low-cost to consumers of services.
In most cases, organizations should also meet both of the following criteria:
- The organization has an office location (not just a contact number).
- The organization has been in existence for at least year, or if less than year can demonstrate that it has adequate fiscal and other resources to give it a reasonable chance of viability.
Criteria for excluding agencies and organizations: An agency, organization or service provider may be excluded if one or more of the following criteria apply:
- A for-profit organization that does not provide a unique service not otherwise available.
- An organization that exists solely for the purpose of promoting a political or social agenda and that does not provide direct services to individuals or families.
- The organization has been in existence for less than one year.
- The organization has no staff.
- The service provider is a private practitioner (Individual practitioners who provide a unique service not available through non-profit agencies may be considered. Professional membership associations that provide public referrals to their members will be included.)
Adopted September 2002
Comments? Contact the Executive Director at 530.774.2191 or email us.